A Look at Conservative Cuts
As we go down the list, we will note many job cuts, but as of yet, no MP salaries/pensions, senator salaries/pensions, or executive bureaucrat salaries/pensions have been brought to the chopping block.
Summary of To-Date Cuts by Conservatives
- Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency: 42 positions; $15.2 million savings; October 19, 2011
- Bank of Canada: 33 workers; June 6, 2011
- Canadian Museum of Civilization: 8 positions; August 16, 2011
- Environment Canada: 776 positions in air; 300 eliminated; affects main scientists, engineers, and meteorologists; August 4, 2011
- Fisheries and Oceans: 275 positions; $56.8 million savings by 2014; October 13, 2011
- Human Resources and Skills Development Canada: 600 positions; EI processing centers affected
- Industry Canada: 26 positions; June 26, 2011
- National Defense: 2,100 civilian positions over 3 years
- National Gallery of Canada: 5 curators; June 2, 2011
- National Research Council: 52 positions; June 23, 2011
- Public Works and Government Services Canada: 700 staff over 3 years; mainly labor force; August 4, 2011
- Treasury Board: 84 jobs over 3 years; $11.5 million savings
- Veterans Affairs: 400-500 positions; $226 million savings; October 21, 2011
The Harper government is looking for $4 billion in savings but yet the list of his government’s abuses with money keep adding to the list.
A Sample of Conservative Misuse of Public Funds
- F-35 jets that have been unsatisfactory by other clients and have been proven to be extremely expensive in more recent reports– look to the US.
- Prisons for a mal-thought crime bill that creates the equivalent of a “criminal recruiting ground”
- Tony Clement at the G20
- Peter Mackay Needs a Helicopter Ride
- Peter Mackay’s Hotel Choices
- Top Military Chief gets Challenger jet ride to Bahamas
- Largest PMO, Cabinet and Senate in Canadian History
- School of Public Service pays for unnecessary trips around the world
Are the items above worth the purchase? Why not cut those first? Like the trips at the Public Service School, there is no word of it being scrapped as it should. When will MPs and government officials be held accountable for their actions? The Conservatives, lowering spending? Anything but. Conservatives making cuts? The wrong cuts.